Mission Thrift Store
The store has been a part of Prince of Peace Center since its founding, with the goal of providing essentials to anyone in need in the community at a very low cost. Currently, the store is open from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday. All of the items for sale in the store are donated, but don't let that make up your mind; our store associates will not sell clothing that is dirty, ripped, or stained. When you shop at Prince of Peace Center, you get quality items for a great price. Items for sale change daily - if we don't have what you want today, try again tomorrow!
The Center does not run the Thrift Store in order to turn a profit. Through the store we fulfill an essential part of our mission: allowing the community one more outlet through which its people can help each other. If a family comes to us in real need of furniture, clothing, or other items, their needs are addressed by a case manager and a store associate working together; often, these emergency cases receive items for free, in order to sustain their needs and allow them to work towards a stable life environment.
What money we do make from store sales goes directly into other PoPC programs to help support and fund them - especially the AWESOME Program, which shares the goal of working toward stability in life. In 2011, an average of 446 customers per month shopped in the Thrift Store, and each customer spent an average of $7.27. It sounds like a small amount, but the sum of all of those "small amounts" can make a great difference!
Items that are unable to be sold are instead donated to Global Thrift, which provides donated clothes and shoes to impoverished areas of other countries. Through this program we are able to continue to give as generously as we receive.
One of our biggest questions from potential donors to the store is, "What do you take?" The fast answer is: just about everything. Clothing, housewares, appliances large and small, furniture of all types - as long as it is in good condition and not broken, we will take it.
The only exceptions are:
- Pianos (we have a list of individuals willing to sell pianos through us, if you are in the market for one)
- Large industrial freezers
- Drop-sided cribs (these have been recalled and declared unsafe for infants and children)
Special Events and Sales
The Thrift Store has several special sales throughout the year. Here are a few to keep in mind:
- $2.00 Bag Day: on the third Thursday of every month, purchase a bag for $2 at the store and fill it with clothing items. The bag must be able to close and tie.
- $1.00 Jeans Day: held on the last business day of the month, every pair of jeans is on sale for $1.00.
- Free-Table Wednesdays: Free items are available outside the Center on Wednesdays, beginning at 9:30 AM, weather permitting. This usually occurs from April through early September.
- End-of-Year-Sale: in the week before the Christmas holiday, a different sale occurs each day! PoPC's store is a great source of surprising and unique gift items for the holidays.
Would you like to read more about the Mission Thrift Store? Download our informational brochure here (PDF file).
If you would like to donate furniture and need to have it picked up, you must call and schedule a pick-up time. If you are bringing the furniture yourself, you may come at any time during business hours!
For more information about the Mission Thrift Store, contact:
Carolyn Harris - Store Associate
Send Carolyn an e-mail
To schedule a furniture pick-up or delivery:
Maritza Conley - Office Manager
Send Maritza an e-mail